[Web4lib] Moodle and libraries

Iris Jastram ijastram at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 17:46:49 EST 2007

I would second the RSS suggestion.  Suddenly we're seeing more demand for
RSS-related services because all we have to say is " You know, like that
block in Moodle" and the faculty understand what we're talking about.  One
great way to use this (other than traditional news feeds) is to develop a
del.icio.us or furl link library, tag web pages with a tag specifically for
the course or the course's subject, and then feed those links into an RSS
block in Moodle.

We've also been added as "instructors" in classes and created a forum topic
for research questions/discussions.  This also helps us prepare for classes
since we can get preliminary questions from the students, have them submit
their topics, and see what readings or activities they've done recently.
This really helps as we try to make our classes relevant to the course as a
whole.

And finally several instructors have added our contact information and links
to our schedules and contact information from a regular "HTML Block" on the
Moodle course.  This works in our environment because each liaison librarian
is responsible for assisting classes in his or her liaison area, so we can
link directly to a single person's contact information and appointment
schedule.

I've been intrigued by the idea of setting up a quick poll before classes,
but haven't tried it yet.

Best,
Iris

On 2/7/07, Jimm Wetherbee <jimm at wingate.edu> wrote:

> Pierre,
>
> I've added our RSS feeds to our Moodle site.  We may, in the future, add
> questionnaires to it as well and have experimented with placing BI
> exercises on it as well (at bit trickier that because we would either
> have to have a separate Library course--which isn't the way we
> operate--or have the librarians at least temporarily be listed as
> instructors for given courses).
>
> --jimm
>
> Pierre Nault wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > Our university just installed Moodle to replace WebCT as our course
> > mangement systems. We (the libraries) were not present in the WebCt
> > environment, but now that we've change systems, I was wondering what
> > could
> > we do with Moodle ? Does anyone use Moodle (or any couse management
> > system)
> > for promoting libraries services ? I found that Carleton College offer
> > theses
> > services<
> https://apps.carleton.edu/campus/library/for_faculty/faculty_working/libe_moodle/integrating_resources/
> >for
> >
> > integrating library resources, is there other ways that we ould use
> > Moodle? Do you have some exemples ?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Pierre Nault
> > Bibliothécaire
> > Technologies de l'information, Services des bibliothèques
> > Université du Québec à Montréal

Iris Jastram
The Pegasus Librarian
http://pegasuslibrarian.blogspot.com