[Web4lib] Finding Google Custom Search Engines

Araby Y Greene araby at unr.edu
Fri Feb 2 15:46:41 EST 2007

We've had three CSEs on our main library web since early November. None
of them show up in search results. I'm speculating that there are 2
possible reasons:

1. We are linking to pages on our site that contain embedded CSE forms
rather than linking to the CSE homepages, where traffic would be
negligible.

2. We are not accepting volunteers for these search engines, since they
are site-specific.

CSE links:
http://www.library.unr.edu/searches.html
http://www.library.unr.edu/specoll/mssgdes.html
http://www2.library.unr.edu/basquebooks/

8-(
Araby

__________________________
Araby Greene
Web Development Librarian
Getchell Library/322
University of Nevada, Reno
http://www.library.unr.edu/

araby at unr.edu
775.682-5678

     /|
  \'o.O'
  =(___)=
ACK! THPTPHH!

Google

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=inurl%3Acse+site%3Agoogle.com+inur
> l%3Acoop&btnG=Search>  hits. Adding library to the string results in
88
> hits

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=inurl%3Acse+site%3Agoogle.com+inur
> l%3Acoop+library&btnG=Search> . Changing library to libraries results
in
> 70 hits

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=inurl%3Acse+site%3Agoogle.com+inur
> l%3Acoop+libraries&btnG=Search> . Changing to librarian results in 12
> hits

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=inurl%3Acse+site%3Agoogle.com+inur
> l%3Acoop+librarian&btnG=Search> . Using librarians results in 15 hits

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=inurl%3Acse+site%3Agoogle.com+inur
> l%3Acoop+librarians&btnG=Search> . The real difficulty would be in
> constructing a search to cover all variations on library. Using the
> inurl:coop library OR librarian OR librarians OR libraries site:
> google.com, I get about 103 hits

<http://www.google.com/search?as_q=inurl%3Acse+inurl%3Acoop+&hl=en&num=1

00&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=library+librarian+librarians+librari

es&as_eq=&amp;amp;lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as