[Web4lib] Vendors Deep Indexed in Google

Binkley, Peter Peter.Binkley at ualberta.ca
Fri Dec 21 18:33:29 EST 2007

It would be interesting to pull a list of target domains of interest out
of our link resolvers, google them using the site: prefix, and tabulate
the number of hits week by week. You could also search separately for
pdfs using the file format option. If you saw a sudden increase for a
particular domain week over week, you'd at least know that new stuff had
been added. For targets that structure their urls the right way, you
could even search for particular issns in the url using the
"Occurrences" field. In this way you could start to build a map of the
coverage of the main scholarly resources, and then refine it by manual
searching.

At least, you could do all this until Google noticed and blocked you.
Let's let Roy do it: not even Google would mess with OCLC!

Happy solstice, all.

Peter