[Web4lib] Discussions on Web4Lib and the state of of the list.

Kathryn Silberger Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu
Fri Dec 21 11:32:50 EST 2007

Bill:

I haven't been following the discussion about the scholarships closely  --
end of semester hubhub had priority on my attention.  I rarely post to
Web4Lib, but I do find it to be a useful discussion for keeping abreast of
new technologies out there and how they are being used in some libraries.

You said you were concerned about the list's loss of focus.  The beauty of
these electronic discussion groups is that you can delete any posts you
find uninteresting or annoying.  Unless the discussion is as off-topic as
baseball or politics, or trying to sell things, I, for one, have no problem
with slightly off-topic library discussions.   Personally, I'd rather have
people express unpopular opinions, so that they can be effectively refuted,
rather than worrying about offensive expressions.  An occassional reality
check is not a bad thing.  Your reference to testosterone is almost enough
to make me read the archive.

Don't despair -- I think the list is still healthy and making a
contribution to librarianship.

Katy

Kathryn K. Silberger
Automation Resources Librarian
James A. Cannavino Library
Marist College
3399 North Road
Poughkeepsie, NY  12601
Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu
(845) 575-3000 x.2419

             "Bill Drew"
             <dreww at tc3.edu>
             web4lib-bounces at w         "K.G. Schneider"
             ebjunction.org            <kgs at bluehighways.com>,
                                       <web4lib at webjunction.org>
                                                                        cc
             12/19/2007 01:45
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       [Web4lib] Discussions on Web4Lib
                                       and the state of of the list.

I am now ashamed that I did not speak up the last couple of days in
support of Karen and Dorothea and in support of the scholarships being
offered at Code4lib.  I am amazed at the testosterone flowing here the
last few days.  I am ashamed of the reactions voiced by many librarians
of the male sex on this forum.  As one of the first subscribers to
Web4Lib,  I have seen it evolve from the open, loose, and always
informative discussion to something I am wondering is of any more value.
 It would be a shame to see it die.  Maybe it is suffering from a bit of
old age and loss of focus.

Bill Drew
dreww at tc3.edu

Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Interim Library Director
Librarian, Systems and Tech Services
Tompkins Cortland Community College  (TC3) Library:
http://www.tc3.edu/library/
Dryden, N.Y. 13053-0139
E-mail: dreww at tc3.edu
Phone: 607-844-8222 ext.4406
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4
StrengthsQuest: Ideation, Input, Learner, Activator, Communication