[Web4lib] IM reference time and trouble?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Dec 20 04:19:47 EST 2007

I guess I'm thinking of time and trouble to users, too.

You have to schedule someone to be monitoring it.  It is only
available certain hours (as opposed to the international 24/7
systems). There is a limit to what can be conveyed via chat.

Users don't know when it will be available, even if you try to cover
certain times by schedule.

Of course I'm not totally sold on the "fancy systems" either.  No, I
don't have a better alternative at the moment, but do hope we don't
get locked into doing some of these things "because we've always done
them" like we have with innumerable things over the decades.

I'll not start a litany of those.....

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID