[Web4lib] Code4lib 2008 Minority Scholarship

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Wed Dec 19 18:14:35 EST 2007

I think every woman software engineer / developer in libraryland who can
make it to this conference should. The simple fact of the matter is that
there are too few qualified engineers in this field in the first place,
and to discourge anyone from attending is a very bad thing.

It would be a shame to not meet someone with whom I could exchage highly
technical knowledge about library systems because a stupid and blatantly
sexist comment on a listserv scared them off. I have a lot of unanswered
questions that networking with people who are truly my peers could help
answer. I am sure that many of the people on this list are like me, and
are relatively isolated from individuals doing similar work. The more
people that come to this conference, the more likely I am to learn
something, or to be able to share something, and I think that is what
most people want out of the experience. If a female engineer who know
something that can help me do my work doesn't attend, then I've lost a
very valuable opportunity to learn from her.

This conference sounds awesome. I hope my boss will let me attend so I
can meet the top tier women and men in my profession within a
profession.

- David

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>