[Web4lib] Discussions on Web4Lib and the state of of the list.(code4lib scholarships)

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 17:41:14 EST 2007

  Web4Lib is dying??? Let's not get too carried away, Bill. Most of the discussion I see on Web4Lib is pretty much on-target & worthwhile. The couple dozen postings on the "code4lib scholarship" issue represent a tiny fraction of the tens of thousands of Web4Lib postings over the past eleven years.

  I, for one, have found the code4lib scholarship posts to be of interest. It's intriguing to see how touchy of a subject gender and technology can be, and that you don't have to scratch the surface too hard too hard to get people all whipped up about it. Not sure what that says about the profession.

  And I am kinda curious why some guys would get so upset about an organization they have nothing to do with offering a scholarship for women, for a conference that has mostly male participants. It's not like they're spending your money. I really don't understand...

  Bernie Sloan

Bill Drew <dreww at tc3.edu> wrote:
  I am now ashamed that I did not speak up the last couple of days in
support of Karen and Dorothea and in support of the scholarships being
offered at Code4lib. I am amazed at the testosterone flowing here the
last few days. I am ashamed of the reactions voiced by many librarians
of the male sex on this forum. As one of the first subscribers to
Web4Lib, I have seen it evolve from the open, loose, and always
informative discussion to something I am wondering is of any more value.
It would be a shame to see it die. Maybe it is suffering from a bit of
old age and loss of focus.

Bill Drew
dreww at tc3.edu

Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Interim Library Director
Librarian, Systems and Tech Services
Tompkins Cortland Community College (TC3) Library:
http://www.tc3.edu/library/
Dryden, N.Y. 13053-0139
E-mail: dreww at tc3.edu
Phone: 607-844-8222 ext.4406
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4
StrengthsQuest: Ideation, Input, Learner, Activator, Communication