[Web4lib] USB Drive Encryption?

MichaelMay.27904586 at bloglines.com MichaelMay.27904586 at bloglines.com
Wed Dec 19 12:15:44 EST 2007

With TrueCrypt, if I encrypt an entire thumb drive, I will not be able to
run TrueCrypt on the USB when I take it with me? Or if I create a virtual
drive on the USB, I will need administrator rights on any PCs I try to use
the USB on? See this page about "traveller mode": http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=traveller-mode

Mike

MichaelMay.27904586 at bloglines.com
wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend software to password protect or encrypt a
USB thumb drive?
> > I need something that's free, very easy to install and
configure, will work
> > on Windows PCs or laptops without administrator
rights. I'm most interested
> > in what people are actually using themselves.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> > -Mike in Dubuque
> >

> I use TrueCrypt.  It can encrypt an entire device, or it can be used to

> create a file that acts as a virtual drive (shows up as a separate drive

> letter).
>
> http://www.truecrypt.org/
>
> I recommend against using
encryption solutions built into or bundled
> with USB thumb drives.  Many
of them have been shown to be trivial to
> defeat.
>
> --
> Michael
McDonnell