[Web4lib] Failed or transitory technologies, with an emphasis on libraries

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 16:44:12 EST 2007

  Just curious...why list one old Apple product (Lisa) as "failed" and another (Apple II) as "transitory"??

Dan Lester <dan at riverofdata.com> wrote:
  Hello web4lib friends,

I'm working on a presentation tentatively called something like
"history of library technology with an emphasis on the last 40 years".
It will probably include Powerpoint, just to show illustrations of the
some of the items and not to give an interminable outline or list. :-)

I trust I'll come up with a better title, but hope you get the idea.

I'm looking for examples in three areas.

1 Failed technologies or products (lasted only a short time on the
market or in service)

2. Transitory technologies or products (lasted longer, but fairly
quickly superseded)

3. Lasting technologies or products

There isn't a clear distinction or boundary on any of the three, of
course, and we could argue where some of them go. The examples don't
have to be library related, as I'll also want some that put the
library ones in historical context as well. If you have references to
great illustrations of any of them, that would be great too.

Some examples might be:

Failed
Ultrafiche
Videodiscs
Quad stereo
Apple Lisa
Steam powered cars
MC/ST and MC/ST typewriters
Stand-alone word processors (Wang et al)

Transitory
Cassette tapes
Microprint/card (opaques)
8mm filmloop cartridges
Punched cards
Gopher
Fax machines
Gas lights
Apple ][ series
Non-graphic displays on monitors
Vacuum tubes in electronic devices
Electric typewriters

Lasting (at least so far)
Intergrated library systems
WWW
Ariel and similar document transmission
iPod
Librarians
Solid state devices

My goal isn't to start a debate on which things go in which category
(though wouldn't object to that, but is probably too off topic).
Please send me suggestions to my personal email, though I'll also try
to harvest those sent to the list.

Something to think about when things slacken a bit with finals,
holidays, and so forth. Any help appreciated.

thanks, and happy holidays of whatever type you celebrate

--
Best regards,
Dan mailto:dan at riverofdata.com