[Web4lib] WIKIPEDIA is now politically correct to use as areference resource

Chris Tinney vctinney at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 10 11:02:45 EST 2007

October 31, 2007 Wikipedia project is a class act
http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/wikipedia-project-is-a-class-act/2007/10/31/1193618940842.html
. . .
University of New South Wales Associate Professor
Andrew Collins has just completed a 10-week project
with his advanced immunology class, requiring students
to correct errors and fill the gaps in Wikipedia articles
related to immunology. . . .
  Universities around the world, from the University
of Hong Kong to MIT to Yale, have run similar
projects for certain courses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:School_and_university_projects
  The site, now ranked among the ten most-visited
websites in the world, . . .

Dan Lester <dan at riverofdata.com> wrote:
  Hello David,

I think you misread this. It said

> Britannica and the like are not some crucial
>"trusted source" we should all revere. They're middle-brow furniture,
> and a source for quick look-ups and casual perusal.

To me at least, that refers to EB, WB, EA, and other PRINT
encyclopedias that used to be "middle-brow furniture" to decorate the
living room or den and to be occasionally used by the children for a
grade school assignment.

The "furniture" angle is illustrated by the variety of colors that
some of them were available in for many years. Do you want it in
blue, red, or white? Choose the one that will work best with your
decor.

dan

--
Best regards,