[Web4lib] WIKIPEDIA is now politically correct to use as areference resource

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sun Dec 9 13:01:14 EST 2007

>   In other words, I'm not sure how much validity this study has for
> Wikipedia versions in other languages.
>
>   Bernie Sloan

The "political correctness" phrase seems to be poor labeling, but I would
cautiously agree that Wikipedia has much broader acceptance. If I had to
capture its present zeitgeist, it would be "the place you can go for quick,
generally-acceptable answers on a lot of topics"-the role that traditional
encyclopedias played in the past.

My personal tipping point was when I found myself editing an entry that
mattered to me. It's not a perfect institution, and some of the claims about
it are just plain hooey, but at the moment at least, it's an important place
on the Web.

K.G. Schneider
kgs at freerangelibrarian.com