[Web4lib] Thin Client Opinions

Robert L. Williams robert at rlwconsulting.com
Fri Aug 31 11:17:02 EDT 2007

Gem:

I have presented introductory workshop sessions for small libraries on
using terminal services (aka, thin-client technology) in a public access
setting and found in my experience that terminal services provides an
excellent platform for reducing ongoing costs/support for libraries. In
my setup, I've used a commodity (consumer) low-end desktop computer to
serve up to 15 recycled computers acting as thin clients (surprisingly,
works incredibly well). Obviously, using a "real" server platform with a
single- or dual-processor Xeon dual-core server with lots of RAM will
allow you to serve many, many clients. Scott V., in his response
earlier, demonstrates that result.

The one sticky point with thin clients is motion video (whether online
3d gaming or simple video streams). Full motion video will bog down a
terminal server and/or its network connection. In my mind, there are a
couple of ways of handling video in a public access setting. First, if
you allow video streams, be sure to analyze your current network
environment. Gigabit networking will provide some relief from network
congestions; the network link from your terminal server to your switch
absolutely must be a gigabit link. Second, if you have the capability
(using a proxy server, for example) of blocking specific types of files
at specific client locations, you can designate certain stations to
support video and restrict it on others. This way you can limit your
performance hit. Third, you can also look at a multi-headed (multi-user)
solution such as Userful's DiscoverStation (mentioned already). This
works a bit differently than terminal services and limits the total
users to about 8 or 10 per computer, requiring multiple host computers
in a larger environment.

Otherwise, for general web surfing, e-mail, and office functions (what
most people use), terminal services provides a very, very good solution
for minimizing technology costs. I highly recommend looking at its
benefits for your library. You can implement a Windows Terminal Server
solution ($, and there's a 180-day evaluation version of Windows Server
2003 you can download--you'll be able to implement a Windows Terminal
Server and experiment with it for 120 days before it times
out--http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx), a
Citrix solution ($$$), or investigate the benefits of open source
software ($0)--there is currently a Linux distribution slanted toward
education environments with Linux terminal services available: Edubuntu.
It's free to download and test/review/implement
(http://www.edubuntu.org/Download). It uses LTSP, the Linux Terminal
Server Project, which you can add to any Linux flavor.

Good luck with your project!

--Robert

Robert L. Williams
Technology Trainer/Consultant