[Web4lib] Seeking Advice: Switching Career Paths

Nicole Cormia NCormia at wmcnet.org
Thu Aug 30 16:40:28 EDT 2007

Colleagues,

I've also been transforming myself with taking some online course work in web design.  Throughout my education and experience as a librarian, I've been most interested in the technology side of librarianship.  Right now I've volunteered to do some web design for the past couple of years.  This has involved library committee responsibilities.   I've also considered taking extra course work to guide me in the career direction of a systems librarian.

Although I'm a medical librarian, I believe my skill sets, continuing education, and experience would allow me to explore and become an expert in any other area of librarianship I want to pursue.  I've heard it's a harder sell, but not impossible.  I wonder if the biggest obstacle is culture.  If one has the extra course work, experience and interest, why would a library facility from a different culture such as academic, public, law, or medical discourage a fellow colleague from pursuing other interesting areas of librarianship.

I would like to see this discussion continue on the list.  I wonder if other professional library listservs have had this discussion.

Thanks,
Nicole

Nicole Cormia,  MLS,  MS
Medical Librarian
Physician and Staff Health Science Library
Community Medical Library
Wyoming Medical Center
1233 East 2nd Street
Casper, WY  82601

Phone:  307-577-2450
Fax:   307-577-7858
Email:   ncormia at wmcnet.org

>>> "David Kemper" <siansleep at gmail.com> 08/30/07 08:04AM >>>
Colleagues,

I am seeking advice on switching careers. I am currently in the
archival field but would like to move into the field of web design and
website management in a library and/or information center environment.
I have been an archivist for almost 6 years. Throughout that time,
while mixing in some archival research work and some processing, I was
always recognized by supervisors and colleagues as the "web guy," the
Webmaster, the guy tinkering with Dreamweaver and Photoshop, designing
websites, taking advantage of web technology to give greater access to
archival material.

Lately, the desire to transform myself from informal web guy to formal
web professional has become stronger, as I feel my interest drift
further away from my current field. A case in point: I often feel more
connected by discussions occurring here than on other listservs.

My attempts to switch gears have fallen short, however.

On numerous occasions I applied for Web Services / Web Development
Librarian positions (or something to that extent) only to be told that
1) I do not not have enough web experience, 2) I do not have enough
technical know-how, and the most common 3) I should remain in archives
because I have been doing it for so long. Like a Hollywood actor, I
have been typecast, it seems.

I am wondering what I should do to switch career paths effectively. I
have taken numerous courses on web and multimedia design; online
information organization; graphic design and others. And I have a real
keen interest in the web and the latest trends, and how they work to
better communications and information delivery. I am wondering if a
few programming courses are in order? I am not sure what should be my
next step.

Your input and advice would be much appreciated. Feel free to email me
off the list at siansleep at gmail.com

Thank you.

David