[Web4lib] Seeking Advice: Switching Career Paths

Wright, Jen WrightJ at library.phila.gov
Thu Aug 30 14:13:43 EDT 2007

Another way to add experience in the library web world is to get
involved with web committees in ALA.  Some divisions have web positions
that are partially pay, partially conference compensation.  Being a
section's web person will get your experience with content management
systems (ALA has had 2 in the last few years, hopefully that will settle
down), working within an approved design to make something nice, and
project management (one of the most important skills I developed as a
Web Development Librarian and supervisor).

It looks good on a library resume, too.

Jennifer R Wright
Electronic/Digital Resources Coordinator
Free Library of Philadelphia
215.686.2874
www.library.phila.gov