[Web4lib] Seeking Advice: Switching Career Paths

Sharon Foster fostersm1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:05:35 EDT 2007

I've actually been working part-time in libraries for almost two
years, since I started grad school, but I've been doing technical
support, and only a little web design and development. I've done far
more in that area for school projects.

When I was a full-time software engineer, it was anathema to "give it
away," even for a good cause. But I can certainly see working for
libraries for a reduced rate at first, just to build up a portfolio of
something other than school projects.

On 8/30/07, Joan Starr <Joan.Starr at ucop.edu> wrote:
> One suggestion: while you are in library or information school (the MLIS
> or MIS is still a preferred credential), do at least one internship with
> the kind of organization you'd like to work for. I did this while
> stillworking full time--it can be done. You use your vacation, you work
> remotely, you prove you are an excellent bet.
>
> This starts your resume on the turn you want to make and it also
> introduces you to people you'd like to have as colleagues. Or, it shows
> you the error of your thinking... :)
>
> Joan Starr
> Manager, Project Planning and Resource Allocation
> California Digital Library

Sharon M. Foster, B.S., J.D., 0.58 * (MLS)
F/OSS Evangelist
Cheshire Public Library
104 Main Street
Cheshire, CT  06410
http://www.cheshirelibrary.org
My library school portfolio: http://home.southernct.edu/~fosters4/
My final project for ILS655, Digital Libraries:
http://www.vsa-software.com/ils655

Any opinions expressed here are entirely my own.