[Web4lib] Seeking Advice: Switching Career Paths

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 30 10:27:32 EDT 2007

---- Original message ----
>Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:04:35 -0400
>From: "David Kemper" <siansleep at gmail.com>
>Subject: [Web4lib] Seeking Advice: Switching Career Paths
>To: web4lib <web4lib at webjunction.org>
>
>Colleagues,
>

>I am wondering what I should do to switch career paths effectively. I
>have taken numerous courses on web and multimedia design; online
>information organization; graphic design and others. And I have a real
>keen interest in the web and the latest trends, and how they work to
>better communications and information delivery. I am wondering if a
>few programming courses are in order? I am not sure what should be my
>next step.
>
>Your input and advice would be much appreciated. Feel free to email me
>off the list at siansleep at gmail.com

In my opinion, stop trying for libraries.  Sad to say, but most libraries want a web designer/web developer/database administrator all rolled up in one neat little package.  Partly it's just limited resources and also amount of work.  There's few libraries that change websites or add new pages frequently enough to require the services of a full-time designer.  So most people round it out with programming experience.

But if you're really interested in the field, develop a portfolio and try to start getting customers.  You might be able to help with libraries, but more likely you'll have to do it pro bono.  The sites that really, really need help also have little money.

Not a lot of companies are probably going to hire you either.  If you want to do this you'll have to think of it in terms of consulting or similar.  You'll be self-employed, run your own studio, and actively seek out customers for the first few years till you make a reputation.

Of course, my impression could be completely wrong.  I wish you the best of luck and hope you find what you're looking for ;).

Jon Gorman