[Web4lib] Re: Social utility sites

Larry Schwartz schwartz at mnstate.edu
Tue Aug 28 11:06:55 EDT 2007

Karen Van Godtsenhoven wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Positive positions towards Facebook as a social utility worry me a bit.
> Has anyone read the following article on the collaboration of Facebook
> with intelligence services?
>
> http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t349
> 49.html
>
> I realize it's the user's choice whether or not to share his/her
> personal info, but I think people should be made 'as aware as possible'
> of the consequences of 'joining up'.
>
> Or am I being  paranoid?
>
> Thanks for sharing your opinion on this.

I took a look at the Facebook privacy policy.  Though I can't speak to
the connections between Facebook and the agencies and individuals
mentioned in the link, I did note that the quote below from the Common
Ground blog does not match Facebook's current privacy policy:

"Some of the aspects of the privacy policy are downright creepy and
confusing. This particular gem is especially disturbing: "Thefacebook
also collects information about you from other sources, such as
newspapers and instant messaging services. This information is gathered
regardless of your use of the Web Site." And there's no telling when the
privacy policy may change. As of when this was written (July 1, 2005),
the policy was effective as of June 28, 2005."

Current policy:

"Facebook may also collect information about you from other sources,
such as newspapers, blogs, instant messaging services, and other users
of the Facebook service through the operation of the service (e.g.,
photo tags) in order to provide you with more useful information and a
more personalized experience."

"Who knows where the information they collect about these three million
college students, alumni, and professors is going, or what they intend
to do with it."  Indeed, who knows?

--
Larry Schwartz, Collection Management Librarian
Livingston Lord Library

"People read books in order to gain the privilege of living more than
one life." --Garrison Keillor

Directory of Open Access Journals:
http://www.doaj.org