[Web4lib] One Web Day

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:16:19 EDT 2007

Not to rain on the parade, but isn't the Web (and the Internet, which it is
distinct from, though not treated as such popularly) now a part of the
fabric of life?  It's used for good and for ill by millions if not billions
worldwide.

To me, in the year 2007, this is almost as quaint as having "One Cell Phone
Day" or "One Fax Machine Day."  The Web, at least for anyone who can read
this message, is factored into daily life.

It is 2007.  The Web revolution began in 1993.  (TimBL claims earlier but I
date it to the arrival of practical browsers and servers from NCSA, and
images in HTML.) Anyone entering college at age 18 today literally grew up
with the Web.

The Web is too much a part of our lives in 2007 for a 1996 "Cool Site of the
Day" mentality. The Web is us. ("We are the Web"?)  If I were to participate
in a "Day" I'd rather it be a cause -- support your local library, rising
cost of e-journals, climate change, poverty, disease, peace, even preserving
digital legacy. The Web causes many things to be possible, but it isn't
itself a cause.

/rich