[Web4lib] loading ebooks locally / archive?

James Knight jlk34n at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:15:36 EDT 2007

Folks,

For those of you out there who get backup copies (ftp download, CD; XML/PDF)
of your ebook purchases from the likes of Gale, Ovid, et al., do you have
plans to, or actually make use of this content by loading it into local DBs
or exposing it on a search UI?

If so, what technology is (or might be) involved? I know that most libraries
nowadays post holdings records for these titles in their OPACs, but beyond
that (and this really is a separate question), what other tools do you use
to expose ebook content on your library's web(s).

Thanks.

-JamesK

-- full disclosure: I work as a field engr for one of these companies, and
am, amidst much conjecture by marketing and product managers, trying to get
my head around just how exactly our constituency might use an electronic
copy of a reference book, besides protecting the finish of ones desk from
coffee stains ;o)