[Web4lib] Funwebproducts, iwon and firewalls

Barkovich, Greg Greg.Barkovich at bpl.bc.ca
Fri Aug 10 23:53:01 EDT 2007

Our City's IT department recently installed a new firewall which is
denying access to our Library Catalogue to patrons with internet
browsers that have utilites from Funwebsolutions or iWon installed on
them. Apparently this software does some tracking and is considered
spyware by some but not all spyware removal programs. This does not
affect all of our patrons but we get calls everyday asking why the
catalogue is no longer available online. I did see a post somewhere
indicating that 4% of browsers have funwebproducts installed.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so how are you dealing with it?
In some cases we can ask patrons to uninstall this spyware but obviously
this is not going to work for everyone.

Thanks,

Greg