[Web4lib] Segregation of content between public websites and portals

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Aug 8 15:37:32 EDT 2007

See http://zope.org and http://plone.org
download and test it out, its all Open Source and no charge.

Security can be quite granular on Zope.

We are using Zope behind Apache and a little bit of Plone.  The entire site is
stored in an Object Oriented database (ZODB) making backups easy.  In Zope
individual pages can have security settings.  In fact this can be
incorporated into sections of a page.  For example a page might have:

<dtml-var page_header>
<dtml-var vital_information>
<dtml-if expr="authenticated_user.role==some_group_on_this_server">
  <dtml-var feedback_form>
</dtml-if>

<dtml-comment> CHECK FOR CERTAIN IP RANGE </dtml-comment>
<dtml-comment>assign result (1 or 0) to hostname </dtml-comment>
<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('hostname',some_python_script_to_check_ip_range)">
<dtml-if hostname>
  <dtml-var links_to_more_info>
<dtml-else>
  <dtml-var links_to_guest_pages>
</dtml-if>

<dtml-if some_variable_passed_here_exists>
  <dtml-var private_information>
  <dtml-var call_some_python_script>
<dtml-var page_footer>

This is not exactly correct syntax but I think it conveys the idea of what may
be done.  The dtml-vars are individual documents in this example.  Also, I
have been using dtml for years but the better method would be Zope Page
Templates which are more xml style syntax which can easily be edited in a
commercial or Open Source WEB editor.  You can specify global users and roles
or local to individual directories.  There are several authentication methods
available such as LDAP and others.  There are database adapters for most
popular databases and a few odbc database adapters which allow you to use
queries called from your page to display data.  To use a database once an
adapter is installed you create add a Z SQL Method that holds your query
using the same syntax you would on a console interface for that database. See
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/RelationalDatabases.stx
for more info on using external databases.

With Paramiko you can create through the WEB scripts that us SSH or SFTP.  One
I have created is a link to a script that allows a user to backup a
Postgresql database before making changes with other through the WEB forms.

  Most utility pages that staff and faculty use here are in a folder requiring
a login and then all the pages may be viewed with a valid login such as the
form to add online database information to the database server for dynamic
pages.  There is through the WEB editing, ftp, or webdav on the port of your
choice.  Our library help desk page requires a login and every faculty and
staff member has a login on the server although this can be done through
LDAP.

There are many options for setting up Zope, look for ZEO storage server which
allows Zope to be a client to the storage server.  This lets you run multiple
Zopes on different machines to one storage or one Zope to fail over to other
storages.

I could go on but this is probably more than some wanted to see for now
anyway.

Thomas
On Wednesday 08 August 2007 12:07, Randy Norwood wrote:
> My law school is in the process of reworking our website (new design,
> reorganized/rewritten content). The intent is to make the site more of a
> vehicle for recruitment, focused on the needs of prospective students, than
> a catch-all information center for everyone associated with, or interested
> in, the law school.
>
> We also are implementing a portal/intranet using SharePoint, where most of
> the content is targeted to current students, faculty and staff, and would
> require authentication for access. We have been assuming that information
> about services (such as IT services) that are available only to students,
> faculty and staff would be mostly located on the intranet, with only a
> brief summary on the public website. The problem with this approach is that
> being able to see the extent and quality of services provided can be a
> powerful recruiting or PR tool.
>
> My question is how other libraries have approached the problem of where to
> put content (public web vs. secured portal/intranet). Is there a
> significant downside (e.g., security risks ) to keeping IT-related
> information (no applications) publicly-accessible?

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  As videos could be 25 pictures
per second and might last several minutes, how many words is that?
- Linux Journal, July 2007

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/