[Web4lib] Segregation of content between public websites and portals

Randy Norwood randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Wed Aug 8 12:07:05 EDT 2007

My law school is in the process of reworking our website (new design,
reorganized/rewritten content). The intent is to make the site more of a
vehicle for recruitment, focused on the needs of prospective students, than
a catch-all information center for everyone associated with, or interested
in, the law school.

We also are implementing a portal/intranet using SharePoint, where most of
the content is targeted to current students, faculty and staff, and would
require authentication for access. We have been assuming that information
about services (such as IT services) that are available only to students,
faculty and staff would be mostly located on the intranet, with only a brief
summary on the public website. The problem with this approach is that being
able to see the extent and quality of services provided can be a powerful
recruiting or PR tool.

My question is how other libraries have approached the problem of where to
put content (public web vs. secured portal/intranet). Is there a significant
downside (e.g., security risks ) to keeping IT-related information (no
applications) publicly-accessible?

--
Randy Norwood
Support: 806-742-3990 x318, computersupport.law at ttu.edu