[Web4lib] Downloadable audiobooks - Windows Media Player for the Macintosh?

Bret Parker Bret.Parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
Mon Aug 6 19:08:23 EDT 2007

We get complaints from time to time about Mac users not being able to use downloadable audiobooks on their Macs or iPods.

I realize the issue is Digital Rights Management and that NetLibrary and Audible.com use a format that works with Windows Media Player and is not part of the Mac or iPod world. But...

What if the Mac users ran leveraged the new technology that allows them to run Windows programs?

Would anyone download  audiobooks from NetLibrary using Windows Media Player on the Windows side of the Mac? Seems like that would be adequate to at least listen. Maybe they could even transfer the file to a compatible MP3 player (not an iPod). Has anyone got an insider's view of this operation?

Bret Parker, Senior Applications Programmer Analyst (MLIS)
Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library
605 N. El Dorado St
Stockton, CA 95202
bret.parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
(209) 937-7148