[Web4lib] Developing a thesaurus for portal

Andy Murdoch amudrock at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 1 08:19:05 EDT 2007

Hi

I just joined the list and coincidentally I have a question for it, too.

I an a librarian in a medium sized regional law firm. We have implemented Lawport, which is an intranet portal that uses MS Sharepoint as its base. We've let a system of categories grow organically in the first few months of using the system. The categories act like a thesaurus in that we can organize/control the various postings and documents across the many pages through them. Now the number of terms are getting a little unweildy and we need to mold them in a more systematic way.

Has anyone built a thesaurus for a portal from scratch? Any good ideas on where to start? Also, anyone with similar experience in a law library or specialized setting (academic or otherwise) would be ideal.

The thesaurus will extend beyond the library to all parts of the portal. I suppose this is more of a KM question, but I know this kind of planning ought to fall within the library's domain.

Thanks

Andy Murdoch
Librarian
McInnes Cooper