[Web4lib] _Wiki-based Bibliography Software and/or Services ?_

Young,Jeff (OR) jyoung at oclc.org
Mon Apr 30 15:52:59 EDT 2007

Thanks for the plug, Ryan.

WikiD was a research prototype to extend wiki principles to collections
of structured data (http://alcme.oclc.org/wikid/). I never implemented a
citation/bibliographic service for it, but it's within the range of
possibilities.

WikiD is currently being used behind the scenes to support contributed
content in Open WorldCat (i.e. Reviews, Notes, and TOCs). For example:
http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/isbn/1594200637&tab=reviews.

(BTW, there is a link on Open WorldCat pages named "Cite this item" that
produces various styles of bibliographic citation. I can't imagine why
they didn't implement this as a web service, though, so you could
interact with it directly by hacking URLs.)

WikiD is available as a CVS module, but it's not well supported and I
wouldn't recommend it as a solution. Nevertheless, many of the concepts
behind WikiD have been incorporated into a new system here at OCLC
called the Registry Framework Architecture that we are using as a
general-purpose platform for managing arbitrary collections of items
(e.g. the Institutions collection at
http://worldcat.org/registry/Institutions). The Open WorldCat
contributed-content mentioned above will eventually be moved to this new
platform.

The plan is to make the Registry Framework available as open-source, but
it's not clear when that will happen since demand for it within OCLC is
keeping us plenty busy for now.

Jeff

Services