[Web4lib] Skills for Library 2.0 Leaders

Will Kurt wkurt at bbn.com
Mon Apr 30 13:11:53 EDT 2007

While I do fundamentally agree with everyone else you did ask
specifically about technical skills.  Often I find that technology
talks within libraries have a lot more to do with being technology
consumers rather than being technology producers.  RSS, Wikis etc are
all tools/applications, and it's good to know how to use them, but
knowing how to build them (or at least how they are built) is
essential to really developing interesting tools for users, and
meeting their needs more effectively. This is also necessarily for
any long term adaptability.

I would say that the technical skills needed would be a solid
understanding of markup languages (HTML, XML etc.) you don't have to
know them all by heart but you should really have a strong
understanding of how they work. Comfortable use of at least one
scripting/interpreted language, you don't need to be a programmer but
knowing how to do simple things is essential to understanding what's
going on within any application.  Additionally at least a basic
understanding of how databases work.  All of the above mentioned
tools are simply products of these fundamental technologies, and
using these is not going to change anytime soon.

And I don't believe that this is a lot to ask for from a leader in
Web 2.0.  Not everyone in the library needs these skills. But for
someone focused Web 2.0 and technology these are not hard to learn.

The key is knowing how to communicate between the user's needs and
the underlying technology that meets those needs.  In order to do
this effectively you have to have a fairly solid understanding of both.

--Will