[Web4lib] RE: Office 2007 and XP

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Mon Apr 30 12:52:38 EDT 2007

Neal,

I was using the Beta versions of Office 2007 for quite some time before upgrading to the retail release recently.  The most major problem both I, my boss, and other librarians in our system experienced were during upgrades.  We found it best to have a completely clean system (or, at the very least, clean of any other version of Office installation -- ever) to install 2007.

One of the biggest hurdles after install is that the file format has radically changed, and is currently selected as the default "save as" type.  This can be changed in the options of each program, however, to increase compatibility.  There is also the problem that new fonts are included (and used as default) and will look one way on one computer, and another way on a computer that does not have these fonts installed (due to Vista or Office 2007 not being used).  The "Compatibility Mode" is also not 100% fool-proof when saving files as the old file type.  Formatting may not be preserved as expected.

Although it seems like a scary thought to deal with all of these, they really are minor issues, and considering the major move in this version, I think it's a very decent trade-off...plus, these issues would exist with Vista or XP and aren't necessarily directly answering your question, but may be something you'd like to keep in mind, or be aware of anyway.  Either way, Office 2007 works perfectly fine in Windows XP.

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street