[Web4lib] PDF restrictions

Will Kurt wkurt at bbn.com
Fri Apr 27 13:44:14 EDT 2007

There certainly are ways of securing PDF documents and implementing
various forms of DRM (although not through Adobe).
OpenFile for example:
http://www.fileopen.com/product_publisher3.html
Files secured this way encrypt the data until the user installs a
plugin for acrobat/reader which then enforces the policies.
There are plenty of restrictions that can be implemented including
number of prints, number of computers the file can be saved to etc.
And no doing 'print to PDF' will not simply create a new non-secure document.

The biggest user of this technology in my experience are closed
standards vendors, IHS for example http://global.ihs.com/

Of course I'm sure if one was truly determined it would not be
impossible to find a cracking utility.  But there are solutions for
making secure, restricted PDFs

--Will