[Web4lib] Digital Archiving for the Web

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Thu Apr 26 16:30:37 EDT 2007

I am currently researching a solution to digitize some of our library's historical content (and perhaps other non-historical content in the future).  Some of the content has already been digitized - but the staff would also like to have a version viewable on our website.  The original file size is too large to place on a website (it would take about 30 minutes to download on a highspeed connection), and if they are reduced in size to be placed on the website, the high detail is completely removed (which is important to keep in this regard).

I've noticed that the NY Public Library has something very close to what I'm after in their digital gallery (see image page <http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=293063&imageID=481134&word=&snum=&p=&s=&notword=&d=&f=&total=1&num=0&imgs=12&pos=1&staticMode=yes>  and use "Pan & Zoom").  The Library of Congress incorporates something similar in their "American Memory" collection (such as the History Map of Saratoga, 1888 <http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl?data=/home/www/data/gmd/gmd380/g3804/g3804s/pm006300.sid&style=pmmap&itemLink=D?gmd:156:./temp/~ammem_1U5z:&title=Saratoga%20Springs,%20N.Y.%201888.%20Drawn%20%26%20published%20by%20L.%20R.%20Burleigh.%20Burleigh%20Lith.%20Est> ).  From my research, I know that the technology used for NYPL is a server software from LizardTech, and the LoC uses both software from LizardTech and Aware, Inc.

I'm currently in contact with someone from NYPL, but while awaiting their response, I thought a opening up my questions publically to many more professionals would be beneficial to all.

What I'm trying to find out is the following information from anyone who may be willing or able to help:
 - What options are there for (server?) software to handle this specific need (if any)?
 - What considerations were made when planning for the implementation of these tools?
 - What were the reasons for the final choice?
 - Are there any precautions to be aware of with any possible solution?  (Personal/Organizational experiences...)

I think any other information that we may require, I could easily find on my own, but I would appreciate any help in answers from those knowledgeable in these tools and services.

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street