[Web4lib] Retrospective conversion

jchauvin at cmhc-schl.gc.ca jchauvin at cmhc-schl.gc.ca
Thu Apr 26 13:43:54 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

My name is Jérôme Chauvin and I am a library student working for the
Canadian Housing Information Centre, the library of Canada Mortgage and
Housing Corporation.  I am currently gathering information to examine ways
the Information Centre could convert its print catalogue to complete its
online catalogue.

To do so, I am currently looking for information from libraries which have
already carried out such retrospective conversion projects.

If your library has converted its catalogue, would you please take the
time to answer these few questions. Thank you in advance.

-           If the project was done by a vendor, which vendor did you use?

-       How did you proceed to update the subject headings for records
that cannot be found in external databases (automatic update by the
vendor, manual update when the records were key-tapping or batching update
once records have been loaded into a database...)?[We use Library of
Congress Subject Headings]

-       Were cross-reference cards been included in the conversion (to
redirect a request to the proper results)?

-       Could you estimate the cost and the time taken of the project?

-       What was the scale of the quality check once the records were
converted? Did unexpected problems occur?

Jerome Chauvin
Library Technician | Technicien documentaliste
Corporate Marketing | Marketing de la Société
Telephone | Téléphone: 613- 748-3111
Facsimile | Télécopieur:
Email | Courriel: jchauvin at cmhc-schl.gc.ca
700 Montreal Road, C1-218, Ottawa, ON
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) | Société canadienne
d'hypothèques et de logement (SCHL)
www.cmhc.ca | www.schl.ca