[Web4lib] Text Editors/IDEs

Kate Crowe kcrowe1981 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 12:41:01 EDT 2007

<http://www.aptana.com/>> Hello everyone,

> Could someone please tell me the name(s) of the best web  authoring
software
> for an individual who is just beginning to develop  webpages?
>
> On another note, do you believe that the average librarian will be using
 XML
> on a fairly constant basis?  If so, how? Whatever your answer is,  please
> tell me why this is so.  I want to make sure that my skills are
 up-to-date.

> Thank you.
>
> Karen

Hey, Karen!

This is my first post to this list, and I'm currently a graduate MLIS
student, and so my response comes very much not from a professional
perspective...so take it with a big block of salt. :)

I was initially going to use Dreamweaver to create a website for my Capstone
(final) graduate website, but I've found Aptana, (http://www.aptana.com/),
an open-source IDE/text editor, to be both very user-friendly (moreso than
Dreamweaver, in my opinion) to someone trying to learn the basics of HTML
and create a simple, effective web page from a template (in other words,
me), and it seems to have a fairly high level of functionality for those who
want to do more with it. I used Aptana and a template from
www.openwebdesign.org to create my Capstone website and came out with what I
believe will be a pretty polished, functional website.

I'd be curious to see what the rest of you think of this product, if you've
tried it, especially if you did more with it than I did.

Thanks!

Kate Crowe
MLIS Graduate Student
Emporia State University