[Web4lib] Content Management Systems

KWolf114 at aol.com KWolf114 at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 17:14:40 EDT 2007

Response to Karen Wolf's Query
Re: [Web4lib] Content Management Systems

KW,

CMS applications typically provide for:

1) a consistent  presentation (eg look/feel or "skin" or theme) that is
completely separate from  the content itself
2) different content types (e.g. a "news item" is not the  same as a "page"
is not the same as an "event" etc)
3) access controls to  help manage different roles and permissions (who can
do what and where on the  site)
4) workflow: an editor creates content and submits; one or more  reviewers
review; a publisher actually publishes the content, making it  available to the
public, etc.
5) re-use of content (i enter all the details  about an "event" once but it
has multiple views: it has a full page explaining  all the event details; the
title/date/time of the five next upcoming events  shows up in a box
automatically; a separate calendar view displays all the  events for a given month, etc.
but i only enter all the event details  once)

If you're managing a large complex website and/or a large number of
contributors and/or want any/all of the above features, then that's when you  want a
CMS for your website.

Cheers,
Darci