[Web4lib] google/privacy/ contacting google?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Apr 23 12:30:59 EDT 2007

The big privacy issue with Google now is their purchase of Doubleclick.
Doubleclick is THE major internet advertising agency. They are behind a
high percentage of those banner ads that we all ignore. Because they put
the banner ad on the web page, they can also set a cookie. This means
that your web surfing is being gathered into a profile, but Doubleclick
may not have access to your identity. Google, because they provide email
and various sites that you log into, does know who you are. Combine the
two.... and you get what I see as a major privacy invasion. Fortunately,
the Electronic Privacy Information Center has filed a suit against the
merger (http://epic.org/). This is very serious.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net