[Web4lib] FW: Cave Day Announcement

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 03:37:07 EDT 2007

Aaron,

Sounds like a cool demonstration and application...

With all due respect, you're conflating two terms -- "high speed" and
"broadband," and you're actually overstating the FCC's definition of "high
speed" Internet access.

Also, would you please cite an authoritative source as to the "world
definition of broadband"?  A former boss defines "broadband" as "whatever is
twice as fast as what I have on my desk."

The FCC has caught considerable flak for its relatively low bar for what
might be called high-speed.  Their definition basically called for something
faster than ISDN in one direction, presumably download.  But many people,
including myself, felt that a goal of universal ISDN speeds to homes and
businesses was a worthwhile and achievable target.  Mitch Kapor argued for
it.  And years later, in 2007, we don't have it.

If the ALA is doing a study and proposing standards and goals, they should
define their terms carefully, for today, and for 5 and 10 years out.

Following is the FCC definition of "high speed"

/rich

*

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION RELEASES DATA ON

HIGH-SPEED SERVICES FOR INTERNET ACCESS

High-Speed Connections to the Internet Increased 34% During 2004 for a Total
of 38 Million

Lines in Service
*

Washington, D.C. – The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) today
released

new data on high-speed connections to the Internet in the United States.
Twice a year, facilitiesbased

broadband providers must report the number of high-speed connections in
service pursuant

to the FCC's local competition and broadband data gathering program (FCC
Form 477).

For reporting purposes, *high-speed lines *are connections that deliver
services at speeds

exceeding 200 kilobits per second (kbps) in at least one direction,
while *advanced
services lines
*

are connections that deliver services at speeds exceeding 200 kbps in both
directions.

/rich