[Web4lib] Light at the end of the DRM tunnel?

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 18:13:10 EDT 2007

Hi John,

AAC is an open standard, and in fact is less encumbered by patents
and of higher quality than MP3.  Anyone can add AAC playback to their
devices, and many companies have already. (Even the Zune plays AAC
files!)

It is built and supported by the MPEG group, and is recognized by the
ISO, so you may think of AAC (or M4A, as it is also known) as a
successor to MP3.

The proprietary part of AAC from Apple was the Fairplay DRM, which,
as of today, is no longer an issue for music from EMI. (and hopefully
other labels will follow soon.) For more information, you can
consult: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding, and in
particular the part on "Promoting Aspects."

See, it's not a bad deal after all!

Andrew