[Web4lib] Re: hybrid library: from the users' perspective

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Sat Sep 30 21:47:21 EDT 2006

My pet peve: type "England" in the location field and it guesses that
you mean—and I quote: "Berg en Dal, NL"

Holland gets you: "Hoßkirch, DE."

"The Netherlands" works, of course. But "Scotland," "Wales," "Northern
Ireland," etc. produce either nothing or gibberish places in Canada.
Given the "NL" and "DE," one would think that you could call countries
by their own names, but although Deutschland and Nederlands works,
Espagne does not--although Spanish is one of the four languages they
specially favor. If you're in the German Worldcat you can't refer to
Frankreich (France), or to Allemagne (Germany) in the French one. As
far as I can tell, all other counries with books in the system also
fail in French and German (eg., "Slovénie," "Angleterre," "Arabie
saoudite".) Frners of the world, learn our place names!

Seems an odd slip considering the name....

Tim

PS: Do as I say, not as I do. We're going to be rolling out
internationalization soon, and BOY is it a challenge!
PPS: I love the LCSHs for Lolita:

Middle-aged men -- Fiction.
Girls -- Fiction.

Hmmm....