[Web4lib] Content Management Systems

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Sat Sep 30 19:13:48 EDT 2006

When our institution redesigned its website, they also changed the uploading
of departmental pages.  Where previously, schools and departments
could directly
control their webpages if they wished, now the page updates are sent through
a gatekeeper.

Primarily, this seems to be because they don't want to see design changes to
the new layout. It's not the content they are worried about, it's the format.
I know that a vendor of one CMS system has contacted them, but it's a rather
expensive system, and I think the cost might have been a major factor in their
declining to even look at the product.

I would like to encourage them to get a Content Management System, and I
know there are a large variety of open source and more traditional (expensive)
solutions.  So... any suggestions on how to encourage this change?

It feels awkward to suggest a specific package, since we have no say in the
overall design.  On the other hand, our more general suggestion to get a
CMS has not been heeded.  I have looked at some of the materinal on the
open source CMS site, but if you can give me some specific suggestions
(or "here's  how we did it" success stories) it would help.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist
stacy.pober at manhattan.edu