[Web4lib] graphics based content filter

Stirling, Jennifer Jennifer.Stirling at biblioottawalibrary.ca
Thu Sep 28 12:24:12 EDT 2006

We use one of these. It's called ProxEye (a proxy based filtering solution) produced by Bajai www.bajai.com.

Jennifer Stirling
Ottawa Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: Bret Parker [mailto:Bret.Parker at ci.stockton.ca.us]
Sent: September 27, 2006 1:00 PM
To: Bob Duncan; web4lib at webjunction.org
Cc: jfitzgibbon at galwaylibrary.ie
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] graphics based content filter

Not sure of the cost, but here is something that appears to be similar:

Source:  M2 Presswire, March 2, 2005 pNA  (InfoTrac OneFile)

Using high-speed image analysis software, PixAlert Monitor dynamically
monitors PC screen content across the enterprise.

PixAlert Auditor examines illegal content stored on PCs, servers and
removable media.

"The rapid proliferation of Inappropriate and illegal material on PCs
and networks is a growing problem for organisations as legislation and
compliance becomes more onerous," says Dave McLoughlin, a director at
PixAlert. "While gateway products go some way to prevent web and email
images, PixAlert is the only solution currently available that protects
organisations from the increasing range of plug-in digital devices that
can at as the source of unwanted images."

For more information on PixAlert products and services and details of
the PixAlert/CIPD survey, visit www.pixalert.com.

At 10:05 AM 09/27/2006 -0400, Andrew Mutch wrote:
>There are filters that purport to block images based on flesh tones,
etc.
>Here's one example (just what I found via Google):
>
>http://www.ltutech.com/en/technology-and-products.image-filter.html

I guess being the administrator has its perks?

>>...a score of "0" corresponds to a "totally harmless image" and a
score
>>of "100" corresponds to "highly pornographic content". This score is

>>generally reported to a human administrator who uses the analysis to

>>determine how his/her organization will respond to the content (e.g.
the
>>administrator may only want to see the images which score higher than
"50").

Bob Duncan

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~
Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian
Editor of IT Communications
Lafayette College
Easton, PA  18042
duncanr at lafayette.edu
http://www.library.lafayette.edu/

This e-mail originates from the City of Ottawa e-mail system. Any
distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it
contains by other than the intended recipient(s) is unauthorized.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me at the
telephone number shown above or by return e-mail and delete this
communication and any copy immediately. Thank you.

Le présent courriel a été expédié par le système de courriels de
la Ville d'Ottawa. Toute distribution, utilisation ou reproduction
du courriel ou des renseignements qui s'y trouvent par une
personne autre que son destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous
avez reçu le message par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser par
téléphone (au numéro précité) ou par courriel, puis supprimer sans
délai la version originale de la communication ainsi que toutes
ses copies. Je vous remercie de votre collaboration.