[Web4lib] Re: [Publib] Audiobooks, are they helping kids learn to read?

McHale, Nina nina.mchale at cudenver.edu
Wed Sep 27 13:23:36 EDT 2006

Exactly, Kevin. They learn from the interaction with adults, not from
the media itself, whether it's a board book, an audio book, the
television, etc. I'm tired of snazzy books and toys being marketed as
"learning toys" because I think it gives parents the illusion that the
toys will take over teaching for them. (Don't get me wrong, they can be
fun and cool; they just won't do the job for you.) Children do learn a
lot by experimenting and playing on their own--my 19-month-old daughter
loves the physical act of flipping through a book by herself--but they
acquire language by copying and interacting with us. They don't want to
imitate toys, they want to imitate grown-ups. :)

Nina

Nina McHale, MA/MSLS, mom of 2
Web Services Librarian
Auraria Library

Serving the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences
Center-Downtown Campus,
Metropolitan State College
and the Community College of Denver

1100 Lawrence Street