[Web4lib] Audiobooks, are they helping kids learn to read?

Bret Parker Bret.Parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
Wed Sep 27 12:46:55 EDT 2006

Audiobooks can contribute to *language* learning. Exposure to language
through listening, ideally through literature of interest to the young
person and also literature that exemplifies mastery of expression, sets
a wonderful stage for language learning.  Learning to read goes better
after having been read to.

If you want to read about some of the positive uses of audiobooks, you
might peruse Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise, The Well-Trained Mind
(Norton, 2004) -- try looking up audiobooks in the index.

Of course, literature lends itself to discussion, with peers, parents,
and teachers. That also is language learning activity--whether the
literature was experienced by being read to or reading oneself.

Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook is also a good resource for
supportive research.

I know this is all off-topic for the list, but we released downloadable
audiobooks recently and I would add that there are some great Pimsleur
language series offered for learning Spanish, Italian, and many other
languages.  The audiolingual method of language learning has been widely
used for many years now. Audiobooks shine in this area. When I was
studying Spanish at the university level, we had to spend a certain
number of minutes each day listening or watching TV in the Spanish. It
would have been nice to have had audiobooks also. Being exposed to the
sounds of a language is great in that context.

Bret Parker, Senior Applications Programmer Analyst (MLIS)
Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library
City of Stockton (California)
bret.parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
(209) 937-7148

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us

>>> "Michelle Mumau" <Mumaum at woodhaven.k12.mi.us> 9/27/2006 8:57 AM

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on audio books and
education? In my opinion audio books are NOT helping kids learn to
read.
I believe that the current generation of children are lazier than ever
and audio books are just feeding into that mentality. I teach 7th
grade
and it is amazing how many children can't read.... and their spelling
is
atrocious. Can we blame it all on audio books, of course not, but I do
think it is a contributing factor.