[Web4lib] correction-css boxes

Denise Brown deb05e at fsu.edu
Wed Sep 20 10:28:15 EDT 2006

Ah, I thought the first rule of working with Dreamweaver's design view
is: "Don't."  :)

I generally do keep a split screen open so I can see what Dreamweaver
thinks my display will look like (sometimes it's close, sometimes
not), but I do all of my CSS manually in code view.  I just can't
figure out how to design complex, cross-browser CSS-based layouts from
scratch in design view.

In fact, for me, designing with CSS has meant going back largely to
hand-coding my pages.  I use design view in Dreamweaver when I need to
edit text, create lists and tables, quickly apply existing styles,
etc., but all of the layout and much of the XHTML is done in code view
now -- it just goes faster that way (which isn't to say that it goes
fast; I estimate that initial layout takes me about twice as long with
CSS as it used to with tables).

Are others having better luck?  If some of you have found Dreamweaver
8's design view to be more manageable, I'd love to hear about the
process and techniques you've used to tame it.

Thanks,
Denise Brown
Tallahassee, Florida