[Web4lib] Re: Library Web site redesign

Diana Myers Hyatt dmyershyatt at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 22:51:01 EDT 2006

I actually did something very similar in my redesign
with the fonts, so all I have to do is change the body
font-size and all type can be larger.

Unfortunately, the IT design is being forced on the
library. Job security could be at stake, especially
for the IT folks if they don't put up the same exact
design for everyone, whether that makes sense or not.

 I spent quite a while debating the use of pixels for
font-size with the IT web designer (as well as other
issues) to no avail. She feels control of the design
is more important than readibility for those who need
a larger type size. Those using IE who want the type
larger are supposed to use the "text only" feature
which is very ugly. Kind of defeats the purpose of
retaining a "pretty" website. The whole logic seems
flawed.

One area we disagreed on is maintainability vs.
usability. For example, the web designer said no
change in the main navigation is allowed (such as
highlighting the current section), because this would
require more than one include file. This would apply
to side navigation as well, so no tertiary navigation
of any kind. I was willing to compromise on some of
this, but IT will not bend.

I want to thank all of you for your very helpful
comments. I'm going to keep all of these for the
future site. Unfortunately, most of them don't fit in
with the city-mandated website design, which must be
the same for all departments. To city hall, the
library is just another department. To hell with what
the public feels or needs. Don't get me started...

For now the library is going to lay low and keep our
design on the back burner. Instead I'll work on
sections for kids, teens and the library foundation,
which will use different designs (I don't need to tell
IT that).

Again, thank you for your wonderful ideas,
Diana Myers Hyatt
Riverside Public Library

Tom Keays wrote:

If font sizes are set in pixels, rather than in
relative sizes, then
some browsers -- including IE 6/Win -- are unable to
resize them. A
recommendation that I heard recently, that seems very
sensible, was to
size the body of the page using the keyword approach
and then specific
block elements as percentages.

body { font-size: medium; }
h1 { font-size: 150%; }
h2 { font-size: 130%; }
h3 { font-size: 120%; }
ul li {font-size: 95%;}

There is a modification that could be made to this --
the ugly-looking
"box model hack" for IE5/Win's problem with sizing
keywords one size
too large. E.G.

body {
  font-size: small;  /* for IE5/Win  */
  voice-family: "\"}"";
  voice-family: inherit;
  font-size: medium;  /*  for compliant browsers  */
}