[Web4lib] anti-spam email address

Stephen Engratt seng at loc.gov
Wed Sep 13 15:33:38 EDT 2006

Pierre,

One effective (albeit more extreme) technique I've used in the past was to capture the screen displaying my e-mail address and crop out the image of just my e-mail address, turning it into a GIF image.  I'd then position the GIF in place of the HTML text, and add the anchor tag to turn the image into a link.

>From a mechanical perspective, the link redirects the user to a form on your site that is driven by your scripting language (ASP, PHP, Perl, etc.).  If you are allowing ASP to send mail through your IIS server, for instance, you can easily instruct the form to send the form contents to someone's account without ever disclosing the e-mail address within the rendered HTML.  To the end user, the experience would seem very similar to the traditional "mailto:" method.

Hope that helps,
Steve