[Web4lib] anti-spam email adress

Pierre Nault pierrenault at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:08:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

    Me and my colleagues put our email adress on our website library and we
receive lots of spam. One of the reason for that is because the
indexing-robots are searching the sign "@" on web pages and with regular
expressions, constituing a database.  We are using the mailto attribute in
the web pages, and we have also our email adress in a database, so there is
an ASP page for that (generating HTML). I "encrypted" my email adress in
hexadecimal, with % signs trying to find a solution. When I mouse over the
link in Internet Explorer I can see the encryption (on the lower bar of the
navigator), but with Firefox, I can see clearly my email adress... and that
maid me think that if Firefox can see that, there may be some
indexing-robots that have that capabality.
So is there a way to put an email adress on a web site without being spam ?
Do the indexing-robot can find email adress on an ASP page (dynamic instead
of static HTML). At last, do we have to put just our names on the web pages
and tell our patrons to complete themselves our email adress ?

Pierre Nault
Bibliothécaire de référence (Sociologie // Science, technologie et société)
Bibliothèque centrale de l'UQAM