[Web4lib] Library Web site redesign

Tom Keays tomkeays at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 16:58:45 EDT 2006

If font sizes are set in pixels, rather than in relative sizes, then
some browsers -- including IE 6/Win -- are unable to resize them. A
recommendation that I heard recently, that seems very sensible, was to
size the body of the page using the keyword approach and then specific
block elements as percentages.

body { font-size: medium; }
h1 { font-size: 150%; }
h2 { font-size: 130%; }
h3 { font-size: 120%; }
ul li {font-size: 95%;}

There is a modification that could be made to this -- the ugly-looking
"box model hack" for IE5/Win's problem with sizing keywords one size
too large. E.G.

body {
  font-size: small;  /* for IE5/Win  */
  voice-family: "\"}"";
  voice-family: inherit;
  font-size: medium;  /*  for compliant browsers  */
}

See: http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html

Tom