[Web4lib] CMS or something else?

Deborah Kaplan dkaplan at brandeis.edu
Fri Sep 1 16:58:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Tyson Tate wrote:
> In addition, I'm unclear of how the WYSIWYG editors of many CMSs will
> make sure that, to take en example from my library's new site,
> librarians will properly markup MLA citations instead of just wrapping
> things with <u> and <em>. Will they allow the use of arbitrary
> XHTML/CSS blocks? For instance, our new site has blocks called "promo
> boxes" that require a few divs and an h2 tag to work properly. All of
> the WYSIWYG tools I know of wouldn't allow people to add that element
> in without dropping in to code. If anyone knows of a tool that allows
> such, let me know! Such a tool would be a godsend for me.

A good CMS has certain content editors who don't markup
*anything*.  You provide the markup, they provide the content.

> My main point was that a large number of
> people wouldn't have the "big-picture" view of the site to make sure
> that the content they add is in line with current navigation and
> organization standards.

Again, they aren't changing the site navigation.  The reference
librarians have the permission to modify the text of the
pathfinders; the access services librarians have the permission
to modify open hours and borrowing policies.

Tyson, your concerns are all good ones.  But answering your
concerns is *exactly* why content management systems were
created.  They saw the exact same problems you are raising and
solved them.  Thus the importance of buying a good CMS that
addresses all these concerns.

-Deborah
--
Deborah Kaplan