[Web4lib] CMS or something else?

Tyson Tate tysontate at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 15:06:25 EDT 2006

Be careful with allowing librarians to edit and add content. It's not
that they're incapable, of course, it's that having a wide array of
people with varying experiences with web content and organization can
lead to a poorly organized and poorly coded site. They're certainly
capable of creating valuable and useful content, but it's much better
to have a "gatekeeper" who prepares content for the internet.

This gatekeeper should be a web person who has a firm grasp of the
organization of your site as well as the ability to use the proper
code and styles to make new content fit in with the design and
standards of your overall site. They'll be able to keep track of
content and remove old content when needed. Perhaps you don't even
need a CMS. You may simply need an organized system of allowing
librarians and other staff members to submit content for translation
to your web site. They could submit Word documents through a web form
which allows them to specify where they want their new content to go.

-Tyson