[Web4lib] Keeping library web pages in-house

Elena OMalley Elena_OMalley at emerson.edu
Tue Oct 31 11:27:14 EST 2006

Lara Little wrote:

> My questions for other folks who have dealt with
> this is basically: What arguments have you used to keep control of
> your site's design and content? Thanks for any suggestions!

I would just like to put in a good word for trying to work with the
college's web team/person as much as possible. When we made the
transition
to the college's CMS, we did have to give up certain things. However, we
also
brought our usability studies and commitment to accessibility with us to
the
transition meetings, and by agreeing to move to the site (but keeping
certain
parts on our own server), our college web team was motivated to create
tools
and make allowances that ultimately benefited other departments as well.

I recognize that there are times to take a hard line and disassociate
from systems
that are unworkable. Your mileage will vary.

Elena O'Malley
__
Head of Library Computer and Internet Services
Emerson College Library, Boston, MA 02116