[Web4lib] Keeping library web pages in-house

Lawrence Milliken millikel at neumann.edu
Fri Oct 27 16:14:07 EDT 2006

I'm in a similar situation myself.  On our campus all webpages are
managed by one person in the PR department.  The pages are static html
and while I can ask her to make changes to the content, I don't have
access to the server and the changes can take awhile to go live.

When I was hired, I was told the we had the VPAA's support to redesign
the library's website and so I did.  I put a year (part-time) into my
Plone site with 40+ dynamically generated subject guides (the current
site has just 4 pages that only list databases), RSS, and room to add
many portal functions.  I even negotiated with PR on 'look-and-feel
issues.  Then the VPAA was fired.  Then the college hired an Executive
Director of Information Technology who decided that only his staff could
run servers, even though we have our ILS on a Sun box and his IT shop
only knows Windows.  My library website was up for a total of one day.
We've kept the ILS for now but the issue keeps coming up.

Meanwhile the IT director has informed us that the college's website
may move to a CMS in 3-4 years.

So I have to persuade our newly hired VPAA to persuade the president to
have the IT director restore my server's DNS entry.  Some faculty have
used my site on-campus and that helps my case.  And I recently did a
poster session on my site at a conference, and that helps but it will be
an uphill battle.  I'm even thinking of offering to set up an online
respository for faculty publications (showcasing faculty pubs is a
recent interest of the pres.), running it off my Plone site, of course.

Maybe we'll even end up hosting it off-campus.  We'll see.

Good luck with your site Lara!

Larry Milliken
Reference Librarian
Neumann College Library

>>> "Kate Pitcher" <pitcher at geneseo.edu> 10/27/06 3:13 PM >>>
I would second Dave's comments.  Our CIT implemented a homegrown CMS
and
wanted all college offices and academic departments to use this system
--
regardless of content or applications that we might use.
They never actually demanded that we use the CMS, just thought it would

decided to test it out and found it certainly could not meet our needs
due
to the very things Dave is talking about in his email below.  The
library is
unique on our campus because of these very functions -- ILL, electronic

reserves, catalog -- why should we be pigeonholded into a system that
is
really designed for informational pages?

By the way, our library web pages are housed on a campus server, but we

maintain our own servers for our ILLiad system and electronic
reserves.
We redesigned our site this summer and are very happy we didn't go with
the
campus CMS!

Kate

Katherine E. Pitcher
Reference/Instruction & Web Development Librarian
Milne Library
SUNY at Geneseo
(585) 245-5064
pitcher at geneseo.edu