[Web4lib] Keeping library web pages in-house

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:00:42 EDT 2006

>> What arguments have you used to keep
>> control of your site's design and
>> content?

Having fought this battle a number of times over the past five years, the one thing I noticed was that most of the people in marketing and IT who advanced the argument that the library needed to conform to a particular template or CMS (erroneously) assumed that the library's website only consisted of informational pages about the library; really little different from any other department or college website on campus.  In fact, some even made that exact comparison.

So my goal was to show them that the library was actually an academic *application*, consisting of not only the top-level pages that they had ever bothered to look at, but also the catalog, the interlibrary loan system, electronic reserves, and a half-dozen other servers and systems.  The library's website was actually quite large and complex, and used by people for actual work, rather than just a glorified online brochure.

Nobody in marketing or IT wanted to force applications like the student grade system or the learning management system into a campus template, so it made no sense to force the library system into that extraneous navigation and design, either.

That actually held the day.  Our backup plan: Librarians in the CSU are faculty, and we would have thrown down a "you can't tell faculty how to design their pages" argument.  That would have *definitely* won the day! ;-)

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University